Spring means a number of things. New life. Green grass. Buds on the trees. Flowers blooming. A time of phenomenal renewal.
It’s also a time for me to get my hands dirty. Yes, spring means time to get in the garden. And this season, the hubby and I have several projects to complete outdoors.
First up: fence repairs.
Our home is 15 years old, and with age comes some needed makeovers. You’ve probably read about our carpet install a few years back and then the amazing transformation of our kitchen and bathroom cabinets when I redid them two years ago. Then last fall I painted the entire house. Every wall and ceiling. It looks great by the way!
So after so many indoor projects it was naturally time for us to turn our attention outdoors. Our 15-year-old fence is starting to show its age. It doesn’t help that we have a 100-pound chocolate lab that takes his toll on it also.
In recent weeks we had to rebuild sections of the fence that needed new posts, pickets and runner boards. As we opened up sections, Dirk naturally thought we were enlarging his yard. He was eager to explore the neighbor’s yard and even peer in their back patio window. Repairs to our exterior fence meant he had to be left indoors as we didn’t want to risk him taking off down the street after neighbors and fellow four-legged friends.
Even random fence boards had to be replaced as Dirk showed no mercy when he was trying to greet a new neighbor. Did I tell you how strong this dog is?
Now that the fence repairs are complete it’s on to the next phase of power washing and staining. It’ll be a looooong process and I’m open to volunteers who would like to help.
Second: garden box repairs.
When we bought our house 11 years ago the previous owners had already put in some small garden boxes along our back fence It took me no time at all to put them to use right away. But as time went on, I desired something more than the minimal 2×4 boards anchored in the ground. Six years ago we upgraded to raised garden boxes that have allowed us to grow tons of vegetables every summer. We’ve harvested bushels of zucchini, dined on fresh lettuce, and enjoyed tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions and more.
What we didn’t think of when we built those beautiful boxes was putting in support for the long 8-foot boards. As the years progressed warping got worse. Last season we lost so much dirt between the warped boards that I felt we were always cleaning up dirt.
The boxes needed a little TLC.
In the last week we made a few trips to the local home improvement store and stocked up on new 2×8-foot boards to replace the warped and damaged boards. We also pulled our leftover wood pieces from other projects and cut them as supports on the interior of the box.
The hubby had the great idea of lifting the boxes up and flipping them over to make repairs. I figured the dirt left inside would fall everywhere once the box was lifted. To my surprise, it mainly stayed in tack while the hubby made repairs and we lifted the box back in place.
After replenishing each box with fresh dirt the planting season is ready to begin. Lettuce is already planted, and in another box I’m trying out seed paper that was given at church as part of our Easter message series. We’ll see if it sprouts. Either way, I do feel blessed in this beautiful life.
I lost track of how many gallons of paint I purchase for my recent DIY project, but I’m thinking it was about 20 to cover every wall and ceiling. After I completed our kitchen and bathroom cabinet transformation last fall, the paint throughout the house needed redone. We just marked 11 years in our home and we were lucky enough to be able to move right in since all of the paint at that time was fresh and a perfect color to our liking.
Fast forward throughout those 11 years to color fading, along with wrestling by the hubby and dog who fells into the walls, and this home needed a paint refresh.
We picked the colors last spring when I started my painting project in our master bedroom. My goal – keep the paint consistent and as neutral as much as possible throughout and then accent with color. The new color – Behr Smokestack – the perfect taupe color with some gray undertones that blended perfected with the carpet – another home project!
However, one bathroom into my paint job and I realized just how badly the ceilings also needed paint. Honestly, I don’t think they were actually white! I pride myself in keeping a clean house, but those ceilings were either gray or dirty. (I’m going with the gray.)
The wall color completely transformed our space changing from a yellowish tan to a fresh smoky taupe. But the mess also followed me. For weeks we lived in a plastic draped home cover every piece of furniture, flooring and cabinets. When I finished with the base color I even added a couple of punch walls with burnt orange and espresso brown.
And then I called in an electrician. If we were going to paint the ceilings, now was the perfect time to get rid of the dated kitchen lighting. Out with the old track lighting and in with new recessed LED lights that brought our beautiful kitchen up to spec. The difference is extraordinary that I can’t believe we waited so long. We also updated our dining room and flyer lights, as well as the bathrooms to get rid of the builder grade Hollywood vanity style.